The Tasmanian Song Company is a
Hobart-based, four-part harmony, community choir (Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass). We are a small, friendly choir that enjoys singing beautiful harmonies in a relaxed and supported atmosphere.
Now in our 28th year, we enjoy singing songs that you'll know: songs that make you want to tap your feet and sing along. We sing beautiful arrangements with spine tingling harmonies and we sing the fun songs, 'cause we Like to Teach the World to Sing .
We have 35 members, with a very wide range of ages (from uni students to octagenarians), and yes we have men: our tenors and basses sound amazing. The one thing we have in common is that we love singing and our rehearsals are fun, friendly and enormously rewarding. You can't help but go home on a Monday night feeling amazing with lifted spirits.We pay a professional musical director and a skilled accompanist, so learning is structured, supported and of the highest standard. We learn many songs during a year, and aim to perform publicly about six times a year. Aiming for a public performance gives us purpose to practice and sound polished. This year we have sung for the Woodbridge ANZAC Day Dawn Service, the Richmond Village Fair and at the Glenview Nursing Home. We also hold our own concerts, 1-3 per year, and invite soloists and guest artists to join us to make our concerts something extra special for audiences.
For many years we have participated as a principal choral group at Glenorchy Carols by Candlelight and we also sing at community events and private engagements on request.
New members are always very welcome and we don't audition you, and you won't have to sing alone. If you are interested in joining a choir - why not come try us out on our three for free deal to see if we are the right fit and feel for you.Contact us or check our Frequently Asked Questions for more information. You might also like to check our events page for information on recent and upcoming performances.
Over the years, our performances included songs from musical theatre (Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Showboat, Chicago, State Fair, Moulin Rouge, Boy From Oz - to name a few), and light opera, Gilbert and Sullivan, traditional and popular songs, liturgical music, jazz, spirituals and music by contemporary composers ranging from Gershwin to Lloyd-Webber. Some of our recent performances have included:
- Taking on the New Zealand Wanganui Male Choir in a contest of Voices Across the Tasman
- Joining up with Hobart choirs for a massed choir performance at the Australian National Choral Association Showcase
- The Events, a confronting play of murder and mayhem, with a choir bravely singing through the drama.
- A Choral Showcase with Cupcakes not just a choral treat, but cupcakes included.
- A Day on the village green singing at the Richmond Fair
- ANZAC Day ceremonies
- Freemasons' Grand Installation - we have been the Freemasons' choir of choice for their biennial installation for more than 25 years
- Melodies for Moustaches - a charity concert that raised money in 2016 for Movember
- Music Makes the World Harmonise - tunes from around the world that unite us
- Something Sweet in the Afternoon - sweet tunes and sweet treats served with cuppa tea, featuring jazz standards and favourites from Les Miserables
- Harmonies at Home Hill Winery - so good you could bottle us! We donated $400 to Rural Alive and Well
- Swing, Stage and Show - an evening of songs and solos, supported by a jazz band, coupled with wine and gourmet platters in the relaxed and intimate venue of the Rosny Barn
- Sing A Rainbow and Happily Ever After - choral arrangements for the young at heart, featuring musical pieces from Disney and Pixar films
- Plugged! - the Tasmanian Song Company is joined by a full band
- Be Intoxicated - By Music from the Musicals
- Flanders and Swann Meet Noel Coward, a nostalgic celebration of the works of these marvellous song writers
- Showstoppers! a cavalcade of West End musical super hits
- Gilbert & Sullivan costumed concert, featuring highlights from The Pirates of Penzance and The Mikado
- ‘S Wonderful, a Berlin and Gershwin Showcase
- Brush Up Your Shakespeare, a celebration of music linked to the works of Shakespeare